Miuka Falls is a 75-foot waterfall located off a spur trail of the popular Winding Stairs Trail. It is an easy, 45-minute hike (1.2 miles) that bustles with birds, small animals and wildflowers beneath a canopy of hardwoods, mostly oaks. It is the West Fork of Townes Creek that you follow along Winding Stairs Trail, which is more gently graded than stepped. Getting an unobstructed view of the falls requires some bushwhacking through thick growth of rhododendron, mountain laurel and azalea.
NOTE: Secret Falls can also be reached by hiking the Winding Stairs Trail.
GPS Waypoints Lat: 34.9331 Lon: -83.0854
1. From Walhalla, drive NORTHWEST on SC 28 for 8.4 miles and bear RIGHT (north) onto SC 107.
2. Drive another 8.7 miles and PARK on the right just before the sign for the Cherry Hill Recreation Area.
3. Start your hike with an ascent on the Winding Stairs Trail, which starts at the RIGHT (south) of two yellow posts.
4. At 0.2 mile the trail bears RIGHT, and a path from the Cherry Hill Recreation Area enters from the left.
5. From this junction hike south for 0.9 mile and bear LEFT onto a spur trail to see Miuka Falls.
6. Hike another 0.2 mile to a clearing. You will hear the falls. Descend the steep bank to view the falls through the foliage.