The Seay House
The Seay House is believed to be the oldest house inside the city limits of Spartanburg. Although a definite construction date for the log portion has not been established, evidence indicates that it was built prior to 1850. Two of the frame additions made to the home in the late 19th century still remain. The oldest portion of the house is a typical Scots-Irish, one room, one and one-half story, log house. The logs are hand hewn, and the foundation consists of fieldstone. The pipestem chimney, also made of fieldstone, is a style commonly found in Virginia but quite unusual for upstate South Carolina.
The house is open the third Saturday of the month, April through October, except July, from 11am to 5pm. Group and school tours can also be arranged by appointment at a cost of $3 per person. Please schedule at least two weeks in advance.