Horse Bone Falls
Horse Bone Falls is located on Horse Bone Branch near Oconee State Park. Getting to the falls requires a fairly strenuous hike so be prepared.
1. From Walhalla drive WEST on SC 28 for 8.1 miles then bear RIGHT (north) onto SC 107.
2. Drive approximately 2.3 miles to the entrance of Oconee State Park on the right.
3. Continue 0.5 miles to Old Horse Bone Road on the RIGHT.
4. Turn RIGHT at the entrance of State Park Estates and take an immediate RIGHT onto the gravel road (FS716). Follow the gravel road for 0.9 miles and turn RIGHT onto a short road where you can park before a barricade.
5. The trail begins right behind the barricade you parked in front of, so follow the old roadbed and signs for "Hidden Falls" for 0.3 miles. Look for 2 trees with pink & black surveyors tape (if the tape is gone look for 2 trees 50 feet apart with the Hidden Falls blaze).
6. Turn LEFT off the Hidden Falls Trail between these 2 trees and onto a small overgrown trail. Follow this trail for 0.25 miles.
7. Around 0.2 - 0.3 miles, a valley can be seen on your LEFT. Horse Bone Branch flows through this valleyat 550 feet below. Pick a spot around here and begin bushwhacking to the left of the trail. You will need to bushwhack all the way down to Horse Bone Branch. If you choose a path that bears slightly right you should come out below the falls and the walk up the branch to the falls will not be difficult.
As we just provide information, if you have a question regarding a particular trail, it is best to contact the source listed. We encourage good stewardship of our natural resources. Be prepared for your outing and Leave No Trace of your visit. For more hiking and waterfall trips, check out the publications of Milestone Press.