Jones Gap Falls
A moderate one mile hike from near the Jones Gap State Park Headquarters leads to this 50-foot falls descending over a rugged stone staircase. The trail to the falls follows the boulder-strewn Middle Saluda River, which is in sight most of the way. Several pools in the river provide wading opportunities and salamander hunts. Excellent bird watching.
GPS Waypoints Lat: 35.1258 Lon: -82.595
1. From Greenville, NORTH on US 276 past junction with SC 11 at Cleveland
2. Continue on US 276 for 1.4 miles. Turn RIGHT onto River Falls Road (S-97). (A convenience store is at this intersection.)
3. Drive 4 miles to the main gate of Jones Gap State Park, and turn RIGHT into the designated parking area.
3. Walk on the footpath from the parking lot and cross the footbridge over the Middle Saluda. Continue on an asphalt path past the picnic area and the Park Headquarters.
4. Turn left onto the service road and cross a bridge. To the right just past the bridge is the bulletin board that marks the beginning of Jones Gap Trail. Fill out a registration form before you start your hike.
5. At approximately 1 mile you will cross the Middle Saluda River on the John Reid Clonts Memorial Bridge and the trail will bear left
6. Cross on the stepping stones of the tributary just past Campsite 11 and immediately turn right onto the short spur trail to the falls.
7. Go another 0.4 mile to see Ben's Sluice.