Fort Hill/John C. Calhoun House Museum
The birthplace of Clemson University. Through a succession of Calhoun-Clemson women, Fort Hill would come into Thomas Green Clemson’s possession. In 1888, Clemson bequeathed three-fourths of the Fort Hill plantation and $80,000 to the state of South Carolina for the establishment of a public scientific and agricultural college. He willed that Fort Hill “shall always be open for the inspection of visitors.” Today, Fort Hill is just as Thomas Clemson envisioned — preserved, restored and open to the public for tours.