This falls of Crane Creek is well named and it will become even more secretive over time as the vegetation continues to conceal it. The waterfall cascades down a hillside in several tiers and flows along a long, narrow granite outcrop finally ending in a deep pool. After a downhill hike of approximately 1.8 miles through a mostly hardwood forest, part of it bushwacking a short distance off the Winding Stairs Trail, you will reach Secret Falls. While at the falls you may see or hear wild turkey, ravens, warblers, buntings, thrushes, deer and possibly a shy feral hog.
NOTE: Miuka Falls can also be reached by hiking the Winding Stairs Trail.
GPS Waypoints Lat: 34.9251 Lon: -83.0872
1. From Walhalla, drive NORTHWEST on SC 28 for 8.4 miles and bear RIGHT (north) onto SC 107.
2. Drive another 8.7 miles and PARK on the right just before the sign for the Cherry Hill Recreation Area.
3. Start your hike on the Winding Stairs Trail, which starts at the RIGHT (south) of two yellow posts.
4. At 0.2 mile the trail bears RIGHT, and a path from the Cherry Hill Recreation Area enters from the left.
5. From this junction hike SOUTH for 0.9 mile and bear LEFT onto a spur trail to see Miuka Falls.
6. From the spur trail continue for .5 mile and begin the switchbacks of Winding Stairs (hence the name). When you reach the third turn, the trail turns sharply to the left.
7. LEAVE the trail and descend to your LEFT for 300 yards to the Falls. There are no trail markings.