Riley Moore Falls
It may not seem that a 12-foot high waterfall on the Chauga River would be much to see, but then consider its 100-foot span and that it is classified as a Class VI whitewater rapid. The falls features a large natural pool and broad rocky beach. A large sandbar in the pool makes it possible to walk up to the base of the falls. The 45 minute hike (1 mile) takes you through a hardwood forest of oak and hemlock. The Chauga River gets few visitors so you may find that you have this beautiful location all to yourself.
GPS Waypoints Lat: 34.740917 Lon: -83.1795
1. From Westminster, drive WEST on US 76 for 7.5 miles to the 2nd RIGHT onto Cobbs Bridge Road.
2. Drive 1.6 miles and turn LEFT onto Spy Rock Road (FS 748, gravel road).
3. Drive 1.8 miles to FS 748-C (on the right) and PARK by the side of the road.
4. Hike (east) on FS 748-C for 0.3 miles to the barricade across the road.
5. Turn LEFT onto the trail and hike 0.7 mile to the falls.