Opossum Creek Falls
Mountain Rest, SC 29664
This falls is very picturesque, but requires a two-hour trek that involves negotiating a few large rocks and trees at the end. The 50-foot Opossum Creek Falls is at the end of a 2 mile hike along a forest service trail shaded by hardwoods and bordered at times by wildflowers. The difficulty occurs when you reach the Chattooga River and turn to go up Opossum Creek along a heavily vegetated path for a time-consuming half-mile hike to the base of the falls. This area is excellent habitat for wild turkey, bobcat and even black bear.
GPS Waypoints Lat: 34.7575 Lon: -83.3142
1. From Westminster, drive WEST on US 76 for 13.3 miles and turn LEFT onto Damascus Church Road (Oconee County S-37-96). Long Creek Fire Station will be on your right after this turn.
2. Drive 0.9 mile and turn RIGHT onto Battle Creek Road (Oconee County S-37-102).
3. Drive 1.9 miles and turn RIGHT onto Turkey Ridge Road (FS 755, gravel road).
4. Continue 2.3 miles to FS 755F on the left and PARK.
5. Walk back up FS 755 to the trail on the RIGHT and hike about 1.5 miles to the end of the trail where Opossum Creek enters the Chattooga River.
6. Turn LEFT and continue upstream on Opossum Creek about 0.5 mile to the base of the waterfall.