Gather your best mates for a round at some of the best public golf courses the Upcountry has to offer. From mountain views to stunning river and lake hazards to challenge your game, check out the list below for your next visit!
We’ve included dollar signs next to each course to signify the average price range per person for an 18-hole round:
$ = less than $27
$$ = $30 – $48 range
$$$ = $50 and up
NOTE: prices are subject to change.
- Lakeview Golf Club | $$ | Piedmont, SC. Family-owned and operated for 30 years, this public course near Powdersville, SC, is cash only. There’s something for everyone here, with prices for mid-week, senior specials, and weekend specials.
- The Walker Golf Course at Clemson University | $$$ | Clemson, SC. Clemson University’s home golf course was Voted #1 in the ‘Best 25 College Golf Courses’ for 2021 by Golfers Choice. This championship course was designed by DJ DeVictor, one of the first pioneering landscape architects to adopt ADA requirements into the construction industry and golf course designs.
- Pickens Golf Club | $$ | Pickens, SC. This hybrid, nine-hole, par 71 golf course is perfect for those looking to improve their short game. It’s designed to be played twice as 18 holes from two different tee boxes. They are groundbreaking for a brand new clubhouse in late summer 2023, including a resort-style pool, lighted 9-hole Par 3 course, over 200 RV sites, cabins, and more.
- The Rock at Table Rock Resort | $$ | Pickens, SC. For golf with views of a waterfall on the front 9, visit this gorgeous course and resort combo off scenic Route 11. Check out resort hiking, horseback riding, and more waterfalls at this picturesque destination in Pickens!
- Chickasaw Point | $$$ | in Westminster, SC, resides inside the neighborhood of the same name and is an 18-hole, par-72 public golf course. With a creative lunch & dinner menu headed up by Chef Victor Rojas, check out The Overlook Restaurant on-site for a snack or larger meal to satisfy your foodie cravings.
- Willow Creek Golf Course | $$ | Greer, SC. Known as the Upcountry’s “friendliest golf course”, their website has a trove of information and helpful insights on how to play the back nine, which holes to risk on or will be the best for a par three, etc. The Grill at Willow Creek has great prices for some quick bites (or breakfast!).
- The Preserve at Verdae | $$ – $$$ | Greenville, SC. This golf course is situated on over 100 acres of land and features mini-Bermuda putting greens, driving ranges, chipping, and short-game greens. With yearly golf tournaments open to the public along with a variety of other events, The Preserve is a beautiful example of local environmental sustainability, plus great golf in action!
- Furman Golf Course | $$ – $$$ | Greenville, SC. Furman University’s home public golf course was voted the #1 Public Golf Course in Greenville! All 18 greens were reconstructed under USGA specifications and reseeded with Champion UltraDwarf Bermudagrass, which now qualifies it as a PGA Family Course.
- Cherokee Valley Golf Course & Club | $$$ | Travelers Rest, SC. You don’t need to be a member to play at Cherokee Valley, which also has an up-and-coming restaurant in its clubhouse, Core 450. This course was designed by P.B. Dye, a third-generation landscape architect and golf course builder, and offers meandering fairways with mountain views, scenic water features, and championship greens.
- Palmetto Hills Golf Club | $ – $$ | Spartanburg, SC. This course was designed by George Cobb in 1979, the creator of Quail Hollow in Charlotte, NC (a regular stop on the PGA Tour), and Augusta National’s Par-3 course. Tee times and rates are available up to 10 days in advance of booking!
- The Creek Golf Club | $$ | Spartanburg, SC. What started as a tract of land, originally purchased in Spartanburg and used to train army soldiers in the 1940s, became “The Country Club of the South.” After the war, it was renovated into a state park, and architect Russell Breeden created today’s golf course. Ladies and kids are also encouraged to play; specific play times and programs center around them!
- Links ‘O Tryon | $$ | Campobello, SC. May we finally present “A Wee bit O’ Scotland” here in the Upcountry with this golf course. Designed by renowned architect Tom Jackson, it features imported fieldstone walls and bridges, and grass bunkers, all adding that touch of Scotland. Their golf course has special rates for 9-hole matches, VIPs, seniors, twilight hours, and more!
- Village Greens Golf Club | $$ | Gramling, SC. Another course designed by Rusell Breeden, Village Greens, opened for players in 1969. Pear trees grow along hole #10 and serve as a reminder of the original orchards that once stood on the historic land. Don’t miss your chance at Mulligans…Neighborhood Bar & Grill on-site, that is, for some quick and delicious food, too!
- River Falls Plantation | $$ – $$$ | Duncan, SC. This Gary Player-designed, 18-hole course contains rolling fairways with lush Diamond Zoysia greens, which retain their color throughout the majority of the year. Only 10 minutes from the Greenville Spartanburg International Airport, this golf course is a perfect stop to unwind after a long flight.
- Woodfin Ridge Golf Course | $$$ | Inman, SC. If you love scenic views, this is another great course for you! This golf course winds its way through creeks, around Lake Bowen, and includes the Blue Ridge Mountains as a backdrop. With revamped Zane’s Restaurant and a clubhouse with rotating events like Bourbon and cigar tastings on-site, this is definitely one more to keep on your radar!
From great rates to greater views and historical significance to PGA-worthy putting greens, we hope this list has helped you discover your next new favorite spot to bag a hole-in-one.
By Sarah A. (Moore) Gross, Pimento & Prose Media