The Upcountry is a fabulous place to visit during the autumn months for views, food festivals, and great activities for the whole family. We’ve helped by amassing a list of some of the biggest and best events for what to do with the family that’s in town before Thanksgiving. This includes apples, fall festivals, leaf peeping, along with history and more! These are listed in chronological order, so you, your family, and your friends can pick the best time and events to make the most of your stay!
- For apple buying starting in October in the Upcountry, check out MacGregor Orchard off SC Highway 11 in Travelers Rest, Bryson’s Apple Orchard in Mountain Rest, and Peach Country in Campobello. For you-pick, Chattooga Belle Farm in Long Creek, SC is the place to be! They have over twelve varieties of apples that ripen in October and more that will have been off the trees in September. This is a perfect spot to check out for those who may want to pick or buy their own fruit.
- Based on the 2022 Smokey Mountains Fall Foliage Prediction Map, we can guestimate that the best time to leaf peep in the Upcountry will be between October 3rd (Partial change) to October 24th (Near Peak – Peak change). For the best SC State Parks for leaf peeping in our area, check out Rainbow Falls found in Jones Gap State Park; Raven Cliff Falls in Caesar’s Head State Park; Issaqueena Falls at the Stumphouse Tunnel Park; or Station Cove Falls at the Oconee State Historic Site.
- Aunt Het Festival – Date: 10/7/2023. Location: Fountain Inn, SC. This family-fun day-long festival is full of food, entertainment, crafts, and rides! Since 1983, the Aunt Het Festival has embraced small-town charm with a full day’s schedule of soapbox derbies, car shows, and more.
- 243rd Anniversary of the Battle of Kings Mountain – Date: 10/07/2023, 11 am – 12 pm. Location: Kings Mountain National Battlefield Park, Blacksburg, SC. The National Society of the Sons of the American Revolution along with two other state chapters invite you to attend the 243rd Anniversary of The Battle of Kings Mountain. A formal wreath-laying ceremony will take place in honor of this event at the United States’ Monument along with historical reenactments.
- Spartanburg International Festival – Date: 10/7/2023. Location: Downtown Spartanburg, SC. Travel around the world at this event! Spartanburg is truly an international city, with residents from more than 75 countries and more than 100 international businesses to date. This festival has been celebrated in Spartanburg since 1985.
- City Scape Winery’s Annual Food & Wine Fall Festival – Dates: 10/7- 8/2023. Location: City Scape Winery, Pelzer, SC. This two-day event runs from October 7th (11 am-6 pm) to the 8th (12 pm-5 pm) and will feature multiple bands with live music, some of the best of the Upcountry’s food & dessert trucks, and over 20 amazing local vendors! It will be family, kids, & pup-friendly, so come out and sip some wine, shop local, and welcome in the fall season! They plan to have a huge vendor lineup, from home goods, custom woodworking, clothing, jewelry, a mobile cigar lounge, and a bounce house! Parking will be cash only ($5/car) onsite.
- Warbird Weekend Static Aviation Show – Dates: 10/ 7- 8/2023 from 10 am – 5 pm. Location: Runway Park at Greenville Downtown Airport. Free static air show, fly-ins are welcome! Warbird Adventures Flight School is bringing some beautiful planes and will offer flights around Greenville for a fee. Come see the amazing P40 Warhawk American Dream and the T-6 Texan planes. The SC Army National Guard will also bring some warbirds to display. There will be historic military vehicles, a class about aviation from the Civil Air Patrol, a flea market from the MHCC Museum, and other hands-on events from various vendors.
- Belton Standpipe Heritage and Arts Festival – Date: 10/7/2023 at 11 a.m. Location: Belton City Square, Belton, SC. Come visit beautiful downtown Belton for their 36th annual hometown festival, the longest continuous fall festival in Anderson County! There is fun for the entire family! More details to follow, plus free entry.
- Festifall at Walnut Grove. Date: 10/7 -10/8/2023. Location: Walnut Grove, Spartanburg, SC. Come time travel with us to the backcountry of South Carolina! Experience life in 1781 during the American Revolutionary War with live demonstrations of cannon fire, cooking, spinning, camp life, music and more. Children’s activities happening all day, including candle dipping, quill writing, tin punching, tricorn hats, horn books and sweet bags.
- 37th Antiques, Fine Art & Design Weekend – Dates: 10/13 – 10/15/2023. Location: Greenville County Museum of Art, Greenville, SC. Enjoy galleries full of fine and folk art, formal and country furniture, linens, silver, and vintage wares. This year’s special guest is author and designer India Hicks. For details, visit their website!
- Bank of America Fall for Greenville – Dates: 10/13 – 10/15/2023. Location: Downtown Greenville, SC. Come and celebrate the autumn season at the Bank of America Fall for Greenville, presented by Pepsi. This family-friendly three-day medley features 50+ local restaurants serving over 250 dishes with more than 50 beers on tap, wine vendors, and over 75 musical acts on six stages. It is a must-do for music & food lovers alike. Consider yourself invited to one of the Southeast’s most popular outdoor festivals! Thursday: 5-10 pm; Friday: 12-10 pm; Saturday: 11 am-9 pm; Sunday: 12-7 pm.
- Boo in the Zoo – Dates 10/18-30/2023. Location: Greenville Zoo, Greenville, SC. The Zoo’s annual family-friendly Halloween event for all ages features trick-or-treating and specialty areas including Alice’s Fun House, Dragon Alley, and an extinct species graveyard. Everyone is invited to dress up and join in the fun! Price: Trick-or-Treating Admission: $10 members & $12 non-members; Non Trick-or-Treating Admission: $8 members; $10 non-members.
- The Walhalla Oktoberfest – Dates: 10/20-22/2023. Location: 272 Tulip Drive, (Hwy 183 Sertoma Field), Walhalla, SC. Willkommen to Oktoberfest! You are invited to the 44th Walhalla Oktoberfest at Sertoma Field! This is a wonderful fall celebration of Walhalla’s German heritage with something for everyone – music and dancing, delicious food, rides and games for the kids, arts and crafts, a beer tent, and fireworks.
- Greenville Country Music Fest – Dates: 10/20-10/22/2023. Location: CCNB Amphitheatre at Heritage Park, Simpsonville, SC. Throw on your boots, hop in the truck, and mosey on down to Simpsonville! Enjoy line dancing, tons of great food and fun, and multiple stages with more music from your favorite country artists. All events are rain or shine. Greenville Country Music Fest offers a variety of ticket options, allowing everyone to enjoy the show!
- Gran Fondo Hincapie-Greenville – Date: 10/21/2023 at 9 am. Location: Hotel Domestique, Travelers Rest, SC. Ride through South Carolina’s picturesque Blue Ridge Mountains on routes George Hincapie traveled when training for the Tour de France.
- Artisan Makers Market – Date: 10/21/2023, 10 am – 2 pm. Location: Greer City Park. This year’s Artisan Makers Market will host over 50 makers and artists who have worked to perfect their craft! Food and beverages will be available for purchase onsite.
- Fall Festival – Date: 10/28/2023, 1 pm – 5 pm. Location: Barefoot Acres Farm, Fountain Inn, SC. Stop by the farm for an unforgettable Fall Festival! Bring the whole family for an afternoon of fun! Hop on a hayride, explore the colorful vendor market, and watch your little ones beam with excitement as they go trick-or-treating around the farm. Live music will keep the energy going and a variety of food trucks will be on-site to satisfy all your spooky adventures.
Whether you love apple picking, fall festivals, historical events, or outdoor music, there is something for everyone during October in the Upcountry! We hope this list has helped you pick some fantastic events when you and your family are here with us. Don’t forget to check out some of our other great travel guides on www.Upcountrysc.com/explore for more.