4th Annual Butterfly Adventure Returns to Roper Mountain Science Center
Butterfly Adventure provides guests the opportunity to interact with hundreds of native butterflies as they flutter, dip and soar around the tropical foliage. “In addition to enjoying over a dozen different species of Southeastern butterflies, there will also be a multitude of interactive activities and displays for guests to explore while visiting us to ensure each person enjoys their butterfly experience to the fullest,” Roper Mountain Science Center Director Michael Weeks noted.
Dozens of hands-on activities and adventure around the lower part of the mountain await. A sampling of happenings for visitors of ALL ages include:
- Explore the fascinating life cycle of butterflies and caterpillars while observing them progressing through their various stages of transformation, and discover other unique insects in the Rainforest Classroom
- Interact with a variety of live animals including snakes, lizards, and much more while learning about South Carolina habitats
- Create a number of make-and-take butterfly crafts
- Become immersed in mysterious worlds through Virtual Reality explorations in the Paleo and Marine Labs
- Discover the importance of our oceans and interact with marine animals while visiting the Marine Lab Aquariums and Touch Tanks
- Contribute to the Pollinator Mobile art installation
- Design and test a butterfly in the Ecology Lab Wind Tunnels
- Take a break outdoors in the fun and shaded WildWood play area
- Wander through the beautiful outdoor Butterfly Garden and Arboretum
- Be challenged in special Breakout Games on Fridays and Saturdays
- Partake in Cockroach Races and Eat-a-Bug Club Special Events on Saturdays
- Travel back in time and explore the buildings and gardens of the Living History Farm and participate in a variety of family-friendly activities, including panning for gems
Butterfly Adventure is open from June 11 until July 12, Tuesdays through Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., closed only on the 4th of July. Admission is: $8 for teens and adults (ages 13-59); $7 for children (ages 4-12) and for senior citizens (age 60 and over). Free for children age 3 and under, Roper Mountain Science Center members, and school district employees. All activities are included in the general admission to the Center.
About Roper Mountain Science Center
Roper Mountain Science Center is a facility of Greenville County Schools and exists because of a unique partnership of public ownership, corporate sponsorships, private support and volunteers. During the school year, 400 – 600 students visit every day for high-quality learning labs. Public programs see 50,000 people annually. For more information, please visit RoperMountain.org or call (864) 355-8906.