There’s No Place Like Greenville for the Holidays
It’s no secret…the best way to spread holiday cheer is heading to Greenville, SC! Greenville’s cozy yet energetic atmosphere embraces its winter months and creates its own version of a winter wonderland.
As if it were a scene out of a Hallmark movie, Greenville truly has it all during the holidays. Whether you’re looking to show off your moves on the ice-skating rink, marvel at the sight of Santa Claus and his elves at one of the many parades, surround yourself with the twinkle-lit trees along Main Street or enjoy an evening show as your favorite holiday classics come to life, Greenville surely knows how to deck the halls.
There is no denying that this joyous time of year brings out a whole new meaning of exuberance in this town; a sheer delight one simply cannot miss. Here are some highlights of what Greenville has to offer this holiday season.
Ice, Ice Baby
- Since 2011, downtown Greenville’s United Community Bank Ice on Main has been a local favorite! Returning this year from Nov. 22nd – Jan. 16th, and located right in the heart of downtown, skaters and spectators alike gather to enjoy this holiday tradition. Whether you’re a beginner or well-seasoned on the rink, Ice on Main never fails to bring countless smiles to faces and serves up all the wintery fun.
Parade Around Town
- It would only make sense to kick off the holiday season with Santa and his reindeer marching down Greenville’s tree-lined Main Street. The Poinsettia Christmas Parade is a must-see spectacle. December 3rd will be the parade’s 75th year of gracing the downtown streets of Greenville. If you can’t make the Dec. 3rd parade, catch one of the other 6 parades hosted throughout the county in the first few weeks of December.
In the Spotlight
- With a wide variety of fantastic performances all throughout the year, it’s a given that Greenville will deliver something magical every holiday season. This year, there are plenty of choices. The Peace Center will be showcasing The Nutcracker: Once Upon a Time in Greenville performed by the Carolina Ballet Theatre, from Dec. 2nd– 4th, as well as The Nutcracker performed by International Ballet, from Dec. 9th– 11th. Check out Miracle on 34th Street: A Live Radio Play at Centre Stage Nov. 30th – Dec. 18th. Or catch Greenville Theatre’s original revue, Broadway Holiday Spectacular running Dec. 8th – Dec. 18th.
Soldiers & Sugarplums
- Nov. 19th – Feb. 19th, the Upcountry History Museum will be showcasing Nutcracker: The Exhibition, with original costumes, props, and ephemera on display from the 2018 live-action film, Nutcracker and the Four Realms. This exhibit will take its visitors on an immersive and breathtaking tour to experience re-imaginings of the classic tale from the 1820s to the present.
Baking Spirits Bright
- Get your sweet tooth and judging skills ready for the inaugural Greenville Gingerbread House Exhibit at the Residence Inn/Springhill Suites in Downtown Greenville this December! Local chefs and restaurants will come together to show off their gingerbread making expertise and the public can vote on a People’s Choice Award. And if that wasn’t tempting enough, while you peruse the display enjoy a variety of holiday cocktails and create your own edible masterpiece at the Oak & Honey bar.
For Greenville, getting into the holiday spirit is second nature. With countless things to do throughout the winter, these highlights don’t even scratch the surface. After just one trip to this charming destination and its welcoming community, you’ll already be planning your next trip. Check out visitgreenvillesc.com for everything you’ll need to know to make the most of your time in Greenville.